Triumph TR5 Trophy1949 - 1958
Category: Motorcycles - Oldtimers
The TR5 Trophy was a standard motorcycle made by Triumph Engineering at the Meriden factory between 1949 and 1958.
Based on the Speed Twin, the TR5 was a trials machine designed for off-road use with a high level two into one exhaust and good handling on public roads. The name 'Trophy' came from the three 'specials' that Triumph built for the Italian International Six Day Trial in 1948, which went on to win three gold medals and the manufacturers team trophy. Racing in American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) Class C until 1969, the American export models included components from the Tiger 100 to create a motorcycle for desert competition.
From 1951 the 498 cc (30.4 cu in) engine (used as aircraft generators during World War II) was updated with a new alloy barrels and heads. The TR5 was replaced with a new range of unit construction twins in 1959.
The Trophy name was resurrected for the TR6 Trophy in 1970 and the Trophy 500 (T100C) in 1971, which in turn was replaced by the Trophy Trail (TR5T) in 1973. This model enjoyed competition success gaining the British team individual gold medals and 2nd place overall in the 1973 ISDT competition held in the critical USA market. The new Triumph Motorcycles company also used the Trophy name for the Trophy 900 and Trophy 1200 models.
|Triumph TR5 Trophy|
|1280 x 853 ... 249 KB|